History

After the completion of the New Waterway in 1872 the Rotterdam area became even more important for transport by water. Many shipyards were founded in the vicinity, as was the yard Adrianus Vuyk founded in 1872 along the river ‛Hollandsche IJssel' in one of the three communities called ‛Kralingsche Veer' which later formed the township Capelle a/d IJssel. In those days all transport took place by water, so supply of raw material was secure.

In the early years the yard had a workforce of about 30 men and mainly built small wooden inland transport vessels. The first steel vessel was launched in 1879 and so a new chapter began for the company. Six years later a side-slipway was completed which enabled larger vessels to be built.

In 1897 Adrianus Vuyk invested in a second yard three kilometres upstream, which would become known as the 'new building' yard. By the turn of the century the first seagoing vessel was under construction and the company's workforce had increased to 180 men.In 1905 the sons of the founder joined the company and after the death of their father they took over the management.

 After the First World War, the economic recession hit hard and resulted in a downfall in the freight market. The company was forced into building river vessels again. It was until 1928 before the company received another order for a seagoing vessel.

In 1932-1934 the economic crisis was at its worst. The new building yard was closed and at the repair yard they only worked two weeks per month. Fortunately a few years later the economy started to pick up again and in the years that followed they built at a steady pace.

During the Second World War the company was forced to continue building, with an adjusted program. After the war the yard was among the first which were able to build again. The fifties were prosperous with a well filled order book. New tower cranes were bought enabling the yards to build block sections. Due to the big flood in February 1953 that inundated a part of the Netherlands, it was decided to reconstruct the river IJssel as part of the Delta Project, a plan to protect the Netherlands against the sea. In 1958 the Algera Bridge with locks became operational. The company feared for the future of the new building yard, located two kilometres behind the locks, but fortunately that had little effect on building activities. In 1960 the first 'Vuyk ship' passed the locks, an historical event .

In 1966 Egbert Dik Vuyk succeeded his father as managing director of the new building yard.                

In the Shipbuilding sector the competition grew stronger, not only internationally, but on the home market as well. In 1972, the same year that the company commemorated its centenary, it was forced into a suspension of payments due to several setbacks which had occurred. A major modernisation was carried out and by the end of the year the suspension was lifted.

A few years later the whole shipbuilding sector was again in a deep crisis. At the end of 1979 the company saw no other alternative to cease all shipbuilding activities after building almost 900 vessels. Luckily most of its employees, numbering about 400 men, found work at other shipyards in the Rotterdam area.

Armed with the reputation, design know-how and experience in cost calculation of Vuyk Shipyards, a few ambitious young men launched a new company called Vuyk Engineering and Trading.

Vuyk Engineering developed into a company capable of delivering a wide range of services in the areas of shipbuilding and marine engineering, and in particular to the dredging industry.

In 1995 Vuyk Engineering joined the Central Industry Group (CIG) and was named Vuyk Engineering Center (VEC). CIG is a group of international companies that all specialise in various aspects of shipbuilding. The companies are independent, but can form partner-ships on projects if this seems beneficial to the client.

During the past decennium Vuyk Engineering has evolved into an all-round design and engineering company and has added a number of services to further diversify its activities, such as on-site assistance during new building and other maritime projects, project management and consultancy. As the number of employees steadily grew, the company needed more office space.

In May 1996 the company left the characteristic office of the former shipyard and moved to a larger location in Capelle a/d IJssel at De Linie 7. Due to the globalisation of the engineering activities of CIG the company was renamed Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam B.V.

Nowadays Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam has highly qualified staff with naval architects, marine engineers, consultants and draftsmen, who provided services and expertise to shipbuilders, ship owners, marine contractors, offshore contractors, salvage companies, authorities, investors and insurance companies worldwide.

In October 2004, Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam celebrated their 25th anniversary.

In 2008 CIG sold the shares of Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam to IHC Merwede and Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam became part of the Royal IHC Group.Since 2008, Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam B.V. is a 100% subsidiary of Royal IHC but has a separated -independent- company status and position in the group.

Early January 2011 Egbert Dik Vuyk passed away, our founder and former managing director of Vuyk Engineering and Trading.

In recent years the number of employees grew further and the office space in Capelle aan den IJssel became too small.

In June 2017, Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam moved to a large three-story office building in Rotterdam located at Lichtenauerlaan 2. From now on Vuyk Engineering Rotterdam is located in Rotterdam at last.